A short and probably incomplete thread of datasets made by plugging holes in HadCRUT.
1. Cowtan and Way (2014). Kriging of various flavours including one using atmospheric temperatures
2. Ilyas et al. (2017). Multi resolution lattice kriging. 10,000 member ensemble
3. Benestad et al. (2019) reconstruction using EOFs
4. Kadow et al. (2020). Neural network infilling proof of concept based on methods used to reconstruct damaged photographs.
5. Morice et al. (2020) HadCRUT5. Kriging using full HadCRUT error model to generate an ensemble
6. Ilyas et al. (submitted) Multi-resolution lattice kriging including uncertainty in hyperparameter estimation.
7. Rohde and Hausfather (2020) not strictly HadCRUT, but it does fill the gaps in the sea part of HadCRUT using kriging
And… Vaccaro et al. (2021) using GraphEM which leverages Gaussian Markov random fields (aka Gaussian graphical models) to better estimate covariance relationships within a climate field
Originally tweeted by John Kennedy (@micefearboggis) on January 20, 2021.